AUDITIONS FOR OUR 2023 SEASON ARE NOW COMPLETE
Theatre Under the Stars is pleased to announce auditions for our 2023 summer season, which will feature THE PROM and ROALD DAHL’S MATILDA THE MUSICAL
Submission details are below, with audition dates summarized as follows:
- Matilda Kids Auditions: Dec. 10th, 2022
- Matilda Auditions for CAEA Members Dec. 12, 2022
- Matilda General Auditions: Dec. 11-13, 2022
- Matilda Call-Backs: Dec. 15-17, 2022
- The Prom Auditions for CAEA Members: Jan. 6 & 8, 2023
- The Prom General Auditions (ages 16+): Jan. 6-8, 2023
- The Prom Call-Backs: Jan. 10-12, 2023
Theatre Under the Stars encourages submissions from artists of all backgrounds, regardless of race, gender, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. When making casting decisions, the Creative Teams consider many different criteria; one is that we envision a cast that reflects the rich diversity of our performing arts community and of the communities across the Metro Vancouver area.
For general information about auditioning with TUTS, please see our Audition FAQ page.
It is important to note that TUTS is a registered non-profit society, and primarily a volunteer organization. While our summer season is (weather permitting) enthusiastically attended by thousands of patrons, the organization receives no significant grants or funding. We depend almost entirely on revenue from ticket sales to cover the substantial costs of mounting two major musicals each year. We could not do this without the contributions of 200+ volunteers, who donate their time and talent onstage, backstage and in the front-of-house.
We seek to provide a showcase, a training ground and/or a great summer experience for performers and backstage crew. We welcome both emerging or amateur performers, who may have jobs and careers outside the theatre, and students of theatre who are looking to gain experience and showcase their talent in a working theatre environment. Each summer we also hire a very limited number of Canadian Actors’ Equity artists, who are paid union rates, alongside our professional technicians (members of IATSE Local 118), our Creative Team (who are often CAEA members), and design team. Members of the orchestra also receive small honoraria. Since 2018, we have been able to offer non-CAEA performers and backstage crew (aged 16 and older) an “Expense Offset Payment” to help with some of the costs of participating in our shows (e.g., parking and/or transportation)
Our assumption is that each person who auditions and accepts a role (and/or joins our backstage or FOH teams) does so because they feel that the benefits of being part of TUTS – e.g. the opportunity to work on a big musical with a professional directing team, high production values, large audiences, and a long run in a beautiful, unique venue, etc. – outweigh any potential drawbacks (time commitment, lack of financial compensation).
To book your audition, please do the following:
1. Read through all of the information below to make sure you are clear about what is required at the audition, and the dates/times you must commit to for rehearsals and performances.
2a. If you are interested in auditioning and you are *not* a member of CAEA/ACTRA/UBCP, please follow the links below to our audition sign up form on Casting Manager. You will need to create an account, upload your headshot and resume and fill in any additional information you feel necessary (the more the better!).
2b. If you are a CAEA/ACTRA/UBCP Member interested in auditioning:
Please submit your updated headshot and resume to Kevin Woo, General Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 7, 2022 (Matilda) or January 4, 2023 (The Prom). Only actors selected for an audition will be contacted with an appointment. (Note: this option is only available to full CAEA members; not apprentices.) At this time, we will only be accepting video auditions under extraordinary circumstances, and by request. **Please note that we are only accepting submissions from actors local to the Metro Vancouver area at this time.**
2023 Audition Information
AUDITION LOCATION: Malkin Bowl, Stanley Park, Vancouver, BC
*Please be aware that there are no food or beverage services available on site. There is hourly parking available, and the closest parking lot is directly south of Malkin Bowl (near the Vancouver Rowing Club). The Bowl is also accessible via public transit: take the #19 “Stanley Park” bus to the bus loop in Stanley Park and walk back past the Pavilion to the Bowl (about a 5-minute walk).
THE PROCESS – General Auditions:
TUTS General Auditions are open to all who book a time slot online. You can pick your desired date and time slot based on availability. Once you have completed your booking, you will receive a confirmation of your appointment to auditions.
What to Bring:
- Sheet music in your key for two contrasting songs that are in a similar genre for the show in which you are auditioning for and that show off your vocal range; we recommend that excerpts be between 16-64 bars (1-2 minutes).
- MATILDA: Please prepare two contrasting musical theatre songs, that show off your vocal abilities, of 16-64 bars (1-2 minutes).
- THE PROM: Please prepare two contrasting musical theatre songs, that show off your vocal abilities, of 16-64 bars (1-2 minutes) plus a short monologue of your choice.
- Clothing and shoes in which you will be able to dance for MATILDA only. There will not be a dance call at THE PROM’s General Auditions.
To address concerns for health and safety, we will be following a Communicable Disease Prevention Plan during auditions. These protocols include:
- Touchless hand sanitizing stations will be provided at key entry and exit points to the building and to the stage and are highly encouraged to be used frequently.
- Any individual who would like to take extra precautions for themselves during their visit and audition will be more than welcome to do so, without judgement.
Upon arrival at the auditions, you will be greeted and checked in. Within your time slot, you will be asked to sing a prepared song of your choice. You may also be asked to sing your second selection. An accompanist will be provided.
If you have not heard from us by the end of January 2023, we thank you for auditioning, but unfortunately you have not been selected.
Expect to stay approximately 2 hours for the first audition. You may be asked, either then or in a later communication, to attend call-backs.
THE OFFERS – If you audition for both shows and both of our Creative Teams are interested in casting you, you will receive two offers simultaneously and have the opportunity to choose which role and production you would like to accept. Due to extensive and potentially overlapping rehearsal and production schedules, it is not possible to accept offers to both productions.
ACCESSIBILITY: TUTS is committed to helping to remove any barriers preventing an individual from attending auditions. We will do our best to accommodate anyone who wishes to be seen. Please email email@example.com for any questions or requirements you may need (ie. child minding, mobility needs, sensory processing differences)